Would You Let Your 10-Year-Old Daughter Wear this for Halloween?

Photo from Party City.

I took my six and nine-year-old daughters to Party City to pick out their Halloween costumes. We go there because they have the largest selection of Halloween costumes in our area. The kids section is on one wall and the teen and adult section is a few feet away on a different wall. Olivia chose a witch costume and Bella chose the Avatar Neytiri costume. Fine so far, except for this…

Bella is tall for her age so she needed a large size 12-14. What’s the problem you ask? The problem is that next year when we’re trying to find a Halloween costume for her, she will be 10. She will no longer fit into “Girls” sizes. She will be in a “Teen” size.

This is not cool.

Have you seen the “Teen” costumes?

Bella wanted to look at her options for next year so we went over to the teen/adult section. All three of us just blankly stared at the wall (in disbelief). This is one of the teen costumes…

Bella said, “Wow. Those skirts are all really short.”

Uh huh.

We are so out of here–right now!–is what I was thinking, but I tried to very calmly tell the girls that we would not be purchasing Bella’s costume from the “Teen” section. What I was really thinking is that there is no way in hell that she is wearing any of those over-the-top sexualized get ups at 10 years old or even at 15 years old—No Way! Why are they selling this merchandise? Because people are buying it.

Ugh.

I am not a prude. I have worn a few sexy costumes to adult Halloween parties. I’ve also worn not-so-sexy costumes. I’m okay with adults dressing up as they please to an adult party, but what I’m not okay with is the fact that many of the “Teen” Halloween costume on the wall looks like they should only be available to women!

Seriously!?! What does a parent have to do to find an affordable costume that doesn’t scream S-E-X for a 10-year-old girl (who will be wearing a Teen size 14-16)!?!

I’m going to have to get crafty.

I might have to pull out my daughter’s sewing machine and have her teach me how to use it. Pathetic, right? All of it–I don’t know how to properly use a sewing machine, teen Halloween costumes are out of control (even some of the girls costumes are bad), and sadly, distributors are selling this merchandise because people are buying it.

Oh Yeah–I’m definetly getting creative next year!!!

Anyone know of a good place to find respectable tween costumes?

P.S. I simply could not believe that the Robin get up was a teen costume, so I looked it up on-line (here). It is categorized under Teen. :(

P.S.S. One of our readers (Thank you, Jodi) shared this link with me. The link shows 39 non-sexy Halloween costumes for kids. Some of the ideas are hokey but there are also some good ideas that will get you thinking in terms of unique costumes!

1. Stacey
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 07:06:44

That is so sad. And no, I wouldn’t let my teen leave the house in that! It makes me afraid for future Halloweens.

2. KellyO
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 07:43:51

It really is appalling what is sold. The thing that angers me most is that companies won’t sell what people won’t buy so somewhere there are parents who think this is just fine,

Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:12:45

I agree with you both, Stacey and KellyO! I’m really curious what buyers are thinking (or if they are at all).

3. alison
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:26:28

Add a pair of black leggings and a black turtleneck and you’re warm, cozy and covered up!!

Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:10:34

Yes, Alison! That would be one way to lessen the obnoxiousness of these costumes. :)

5. angelbuttons77
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 14:45:55

I have an extra-tall son, who is 10…..there is ONE good thing about the “sizes” that the costume companies make – they’re really, REALLY off…..SO – we skipped “teen” costumes altogether, and went straight to adult size small. In the women’s section, yes, there are the “sexy” costumes – but there are FAR more non-sexy costumes than in the “teen” section. So there is a little hope.

My main hope, though, is that parents stop allowing this garbage. I have boys, but this is a concern to me both as a woman, and as a mother of those boys. Costumes like that teach the girls to put that image out there, and it teaches boys that that is the appropriate way to view women – as sex objects. No thanks!

6. laci512
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 15:05:36

Not only No but HELL NO!! We went shopping this weekend for the 13 yo.s costume and I was so pleased I didn’t have to tell her that what she picked out wasn’t going to cut it or that her father would kill me if I let her get something. I was so happy she picked out something very 13 yo appropriate. Thank goodness!!!

7. healthyops
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 07:25:32

Most children, not all, (and I have one that marches to the beat of his own drum) will inevitably follow the example set by their parents. My question is, are any of these type costumes appropriate for any mother, or adult wanting or hoping their daughters won’t desire such costumes? I like the idea of putting modest clothing under neath these costumes. Then both parent and child are satisfied. That is until they hit the ‘real’ teen years. :/ I have 5 children, 2 in their 20′s and three teens. I’ve never worn or have encouraged such costumes and I still struggled with a couple of my teens wanting the costumes that the main stream are wearing. At least when I told them that they can’t wear ‘those kind of costumes,’ without putting something under them, I didn’t get the response, “Well you do, why can’t I?”

8. Mary the OINKteller
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 07:33:29

I don’t think the teens purchasing those costumes are shopping with their mothers. At least, I fervently hope they aren’t! I would freak out if my daughter wanted to wear one of those costumes before she was 25. Alright. 20. Fortunately, she’s 7 and has some time. Thanks for expressing your outrage – it’s shared!

9. Jennifer Aven
    Oct 19, 2011 @ 14:37:24

Its so aweful and dishartening to shop for tweens. I also hate how there is no imagination to them. They are all basically the same little tiny skirt and bodice. They throw a different picture and color scheme on them and call it ‘Sexy bee, sexy batman, sexy butterfly, sexy Elmo” =\ I’ve been making Gabrielle’s costumes for many years now and you would be surprised what you can do with safety pins and fabric glue! I can’t sew and am not very creative, but there are a ton of DIY ideas and directions online. My favorite was a bat that involved cutting apart an umbrella and safety pinning it to arms of a black sweatshirt. Last year was green godess Athens which just involved a bed sheet, safety pins and Goodwill gold jewelry. It’s been fun seeing what we can do next.

10. Heidi
    Oct 19, 2011 @ 15:09:53

My daughter is into Star Wars….so this year is Darth Vader, but I feel your pain, she is only 6 and is so tall she is wearing size12. It make my blood cold to see these costumes for ‘little girls’. sickening.

11. Anna
    Oct 23, 2011 @ 20:00:17

I think that its no wonder so many sickos are out there preying on kids and teens. If they dress like a hooker, that sends a bad message. And parents, dont allow them to walk out the door dressed like that. Its way too easy to get raped now days

12. blu
    Oct 25, 2011 @ 08:44:25

I’m not a parent nor a prude either, but I’m in complete agreement with you. As a 20 something, I can not believe the costumes that have been made available to teenagers these days. But this is exactly why I started making my own costumes, and I couldn’t be happier. I get to wear the things that I want to wear, that fit me (since many of those costume stores come in odd sizes that never fit quite right), and I never have to think about the tackyness at the party stores. “Sexy” Halloween costumes were my motivation, so maybe pulling out that sewing machine is what you should do. Let the creativity flow!

13. Dietary Habits
    Jan 11, 2012 @ 22:22:57

Tremendous things here. I’m very satisfied to look your post. Thank you so much and I’m having a look forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

14. kaley
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 14:44:32

yes i would let my 10 year old go out like that because she is very pretty and smart and she can pull it off

15. tia