Favorite Things Party ~ Love This Idea!

I attended my first Favorite Things party last weekend and it was so much fun! Our fabulous host invited an array of people who didn’t necessarily know each other well and asked each of us to give her an additional name of a person who we would like to add to the invitation list. Several of the guests were parents whose child(ren) attend the same school, but that was not the overwhelming majority. I met some super nice and funny ladies, who I hadn’t connected with before, but who I certainly will reconnect with now.

I think the idea originated from Pinterest. Here’s how it works:

Each person brings an appetizer or dessert and their favorite thing (anything you like…your favorite lip gloss, favorite kitchen tool, a gift card for your favorite frozen yogurt, baked goods, wine, etc.). It can’t cost more than $6, and each person brings five of the same thing. When you arrive at the party, you write your name on five slips of paper and throw them in a big bowl. The bowl is passed around, and each person takes five names (making sure you don’t pick your own or two of the same name). One at a time each person introduces their favorite thing and then reads the five names they picked from the bowl, passing out their gift to those five guests. After everyone at the party has presented their favorite thing, each person should end up with five gifts to take home.

At the party I attended, the women talked about lots of their favorite things (like reading, family, traveling, etc.) leading up to the particular gift they brought to share. There were all types of presents. I received wine, Maybelline Falsies mascara, a beautiful handmade mauve/maroon beaded bracelet, nail polish/lip gloss set, and a bag with two cans of tomatoes and a recipe for homemade marinara. It’s always interesting to see what people choose.

When it was my turn to share what my favorite things were, I said my girls, the ocean, warm weather, etc., etc., and then I said, “I love a great scent!” I said this because my “Favorite Thing”, that I brought to share, was Mango Body Butter by The Body Shop, but everyone thought I said “I love great sex”. Let me tell you, the whole place was laughing at me hysterically as my face burned from embarrassment. I had nowhere to hide. I kept saying, “I meant a great scent,—you know fragrance…” but then I gave everyone their body butter, and I think that made it all worse…C’mon ladies!!! :)

Anyway, the evening was hilarious and we all had a great night. This is fantastic party idea and a great way to share ideas with friends or get to know new people!

1. Galit Breen
    Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:13:33

Oh my, this? Is a fabulous idea! Love it!

2. Judy
    Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:50:29

What a great idea for a party:) Sounds like a good time was had by all.

3. Kerner71
    Sep 29, 2011 @ 14:30:58

I can’t wait to get invited to a party just like this?

It was great to see you!

Sep 29, 2011 @ 16:24:29

Hey, It’s the best hostess around town!! So much fun!! It was great to see you too. I wish I could make it for the November get together. :)

4. Trackback: Top 8 Reasons I Love The Holidays in Madison – Mama's Gone Madison
  5. Joyce Isaak Warkentin
    Dec 04, 2011 @ 18:38:45

Could this be done at a mixed party. It sounds more like a ladies party though.

6. Lucy
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 07:50:18

I’ve hosted one of these 2 years in a row now…it’s a blast. I’ve done it at work where they pay to receive my favorite things! I shopped after Christmas sales last year so this past year…it was my favorite christmas items….the women went home with 12 of my favorite things and it cost them $7 per person…..gotta love 90% off sales after the holidays!!!! Each woman brought a dish to share too. Very fun…love this idea where they all bring 5 of their favorite item for $6 or less. All I know for sure my decorations this year will be a “black and white” theme!! Have fun!