These blueberry muffins are melt-in-your mouth delicious! Next time I’m going to try the recipe half blueberries and half raspberries and see how that works out. Good luck eating just one!
2 cups plus 1 teaspoon of unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup milk
½ cup applesauce
1 cup fresh blueberries
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon peel and juice, milk, and applesauce; mix thoroughly.
3. In a small bowl, toss blueberries with 1 teaspoon flour just to coat (this prevents them from sinking), then fold them into batter gently. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling half full. Set aside.
4. To Prepare Topping: In a separate small bowl, with a fork, stir sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts until crumbly. Spoon evenly on each muffin before baking.
5. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature.
I found this recipe in Bakin’ Without Eggs, by Rosemarie Emro.