What Are Your Thoughts on Abercrombie Kids Selling Padded Push Up Bikini Tops to 8-Year-Old Girls? Check Out A Better Kids Clothing Option. By Liz Nord

Source

People have told me that my Barbie vs. Bratz post was either too conservative or not conservative enough. I hope we can all agree here, that selling push up padded bikini tops to eight-year-old girls it completely and utterly over the top and wrong. Please tell me you agree.

Abercrombie Kids is marketing to girls and boys between the ages of 7 and 14. There is no logical reason for a seven-year-old girl to have a padded anything. The use of the word “push up” is unbelievably inappropriate for young girls. A push up bikini top is designed to make your bust look bigger and more accessible to the eye. Why would a second or third or fifth or whatever grader want to do that? This is clear sexualization of girls, and it really bugs me.

Playing sexy is not appropriate for girls.  Kids should be out catching frogs, playing sports, learning an instrument, dancing, playing hopscotch, etc. Let them be kids! Teaching girls that their looks are their primary value is setting them up for future problems with body image, self-esteem, and feelings of self-worth.

Right now, somewhere in the world, a girl is shopping at Abercrombie Kids. She is getting the message that her chest is not good enough; it needs to be bigger and pushed up and out. No, thank you.

There has been such outrage about the bikini top that Abercrombie Kids has removed the word “push-up” from its online catalogue, but not the item. It’s still for sale and being marketed as padded. It’s just wrong. I will never shop at that store.

On a more positive note, check out Pigtail Pals. I love their Redefine Girly t-shirts for ages six months and up. Their t-shirts have empowering positive messages. No, “I’m a princess” or “I’m spoiled” messages here.

Here is their awesome video. It’s a must see. I love it!

Pigtail Pals say, “Instead of ‘parents beware’, let’s work with ‘parents be educated about your options and empowered in how to talk to your kids’. Let’s focus on the companies who are putting good, healthy, inspiring apparel & products out there for girls.”

UPDATE: Abercrombie Kids took the Ashley padded bikini top off their website. But, there is still another bikini there that has “removable padding”.

1. Jodi
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:11:17

I saw this online last night and it made me sick to my stomach. It’s so wrong!!

2. Lori Galloway
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 11:07:48

I find this repulsive and absurd. It is wrong in so many ways. With all of the issues surrounding our little girls in todays society in regards to self esteem and body image, this is a step in the wrong direction. I am at a loss for words. (I didn’t know that was possible!)

Shame on Abercrombie and shame on the parents who purchase those kinds of clothes for their little girls!

3. Karena Hadler
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 12:51:36

Thanks for posting this. I love the message in the video! Redefine Girly is an inspiring message- its too bad that Abercrombie and the many other “designer” clothing stores haven’t gotten the message that they could actually make a positive impact in this world with clothing that inspires. Keep doing what you are doing- its great to read about real issues we can face with our children.

Mar 29, 2011 @ 16:48:20

Thank you, Karena. I agree–I wish they would get a clue and do some good.

I LOVE the Redifine Girly message!!

5. tealrose1
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 18:46:41

We had some clothes in the UK a few years back that were deemed .. unsuitable like this too. The public went wild about it … and the company withdrew them. Unfortunately, from time to time there are still disgusting clothes for girls put forward in the shops. Slutty stuff for five year olds!! What sickens me even more … is that you see children actually wearing the stuff!! Some idiot adult had to have bought it !!

I find it so sad that these days children aren’t children for longer than five minutes. We all expect them to grow up so quickly .. it is such a shame …

6. tova
    Mar 31, 2011 @ 13:43:56

That is totally sick. I found high heels for 5 year olds and I think it is totally inappropriate.

But then I think Bratz dolls embody everything that is wrong with our society.

7. laci512
    Apr 03, 2011 @ 09:09:28

My daughter, who is 12, came home from school just a few days ago telling me that some of her classmates had been talking about getting these swimsuits. Thankfully, my daughter began to explain to me that she thought it was outrageous for girls her age to be concerned with this. (of course those were not her exact words. there were several likes and omg’s in there)

I agree that these swimsuits are completely inappropriate and the companies that make them should be ashamed of themselves. As a mother of two young girls I worry enough about the well-being of my daughters without putting them in push-up bikinis. I wish that companies like Abercromie would understand that by producing bikinis like this they are not helping with the problems that young girls are facing, like body image and self-esteem, they are making it worse.

8. anonymos
    Jun 11, 2011 @ 12:35:19

I can understand why people are making a big deal about it. But my daughter is 13 and is so petite. She always gets confused for a 10 year old. By abercrombie kids selling a product like this it offers a padded bikini for maturing yet petite preteens.

9. alison
    Jun 29, 2011 @ 15:55:52

i think that everyone who thinks this idea is stupid should go. i like the idea of this padded push up bikini cause girls that want it would buy it. some girls need it and some girls do it for the appearance. my daughter is 13 and she wears a bombshell… and it makes her boobs look good.

Jun 29, 2011 @ 17:40:25

Hi Alison,

I definitely would not want my 9-year-old daughter wearing padded string bikinis trying to look like a bombshell. At 9-years-old, I want my daughter to be thinking about playing outside, catching frogs, swimming in a comfortable suit, and being able to enjoy the innocence of youth—not worrying about if what she’s wearing “makes her boobs look good”.

10. Gabby
    Aug 07, 2011 @ 18:16:41

My daughter is 12 and very small for her age. I feel that parents can be outraged, but really, I mean are they really targeting 7 and 8 year olds. I’m buying my daughter one of the bikinis because the juniors don’t fit her. You aren’t going to buy it for your 8 year olds. That store, I would think would be more for pre-teens. I don’t think 7 or 8 year olds should even step foot in there! But that’s just my opinion.

11. Maria
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 12:20:48

Liz, I agree to your post. It is absaloutley wrong as 8 y-o children wear push up bikini tops! My sister is 10 and has ‘mid-section’ bikini tops. She doesn’t like the design of the pads or bra structure. I’m not an adult, I’m 17 and I don’t like the idea, still!

12. Mary
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 12:24:08

My 11 year old daughter only got a bra in september 2011. She isn’t too big, but I say padded push up bikini tops are targeted for teen – adult! Not children. Thankyou for posting this Liz.