Barbie vs. Bratz Dolls ~ The Sexualization of Girls by Liz Nord

Source

According to the book Forever Barbie by M.G. Lord, if Barbie were human-sized, she would stand 5 feet 6 inches tall, weigh 110 pounds, have a 39-inch bust line, an 18-inch waist, 33-inch hips, and her feet would only fit into high heels. Personally, I think the Bratz dolls are much more offensive. I don’t think of myself as uber conservative, but those dolls are not allowed in our house. I read somewhere that if a Bratz doll was human-sized, her head would weigh 100 pounds, her breasts would be size 40GG, and she would have a 12-inch waist. The measurements of both dolls are so unrealistic. I wish the proportions of dolls were more true to real life, but at the moment, I’m a more concerned about the risqué clothing, make up, pumped up lips, and personas the Bratz Dolls are conveying.

The Bratz dolls are wearing ten pounds of make up and such skimpy clothing that they look like prostitutes. I am confused why these dolls are selling and why parents are allowing their girls to play with them. At least Barbie has an education, career, and has broken glass ceilings. She has been a veterinarian, lawyer, doctor, mom, astronaut, sister, teacher, etc. There is no telling Barbie, “girls can’t do that”, and there are some non-sexual clothing options available for her.

Bratz are catty and gossipy, and their message is quite negative. Some moms say that they use the Bratz dolls as learning opportunities to discuss what is inappropriate. Okay—Do you have to buy one to do that? No, point it out in Target and talk about how promiscuous clothing and loads of make up are not appropriate—don’t feed into the MGA Entertainment money-making machine and sexualization of girls. Buying the dolls sends the message that we, consumers, want more of that kind of product and branding.

Have you viewed the Bratz show? It’s an insult to girls’ intelligence and sends a bad message. Here is a clip of what some young girls are watching today:

Growing up, I wasn’t interested in Barbie dolls. When I received one as a gift, I would cut its hair, cast it aside, and run outside to play. I know some girls love dolls and who am I to say they should not be allowed to have dolls, and that’s not what I’m saying at all. In fact, although my oldest daughter has had no interest in dolls, my youngest daughter LOVES them! What I am saying is lets pick dolls and outfits that are more natural and age appropriate looking. I do like the American Girl Dolls, but unfortunately, they cost $100 each. What I really wish is that there was an affordable line of dolls available, which display a variety of body shapes, ethnicities, and clothes that are not sexed up and that promote positive body image, self-esteem, intelligence, and diversity. Manufacturers’ will make them if enough people stop buying the sexualized dolls.

Sorry if I’ve offended anyone, but I feel passionate about this topic. Every time I see one of those Bratz dolls in Target or see another oversexed outfit, I feel ill. I feel sick because the message they are sending to our very young girls is that if you want to be cool, pretty, successful, and have boys like you, then you need to dress “sexy”, wear a lot of make up, be spiteful, and act unintelligent. This really isn’t about Barbie vs. Bratz. It’s about both the direct and indirect messages we are sending to our young girls with the merchandise that we buy and allow in our homes.

What do you think?

1. Janell
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 07:20:00

I totally agree! When my daughter was younger she actually was scared of Bratz dolls and called them Ratz dolls. Although she sometimes played with my old Barbie and Ken from the 60′s they were not her favorite. We did find a nice alternative in the Only Hearts Club dolls. They are cute, have cute clothes and look like preteen girls: no breasts, no high heels, no make up! Check them out.

2. Melissa Wardy
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 07:55:28

Sexualization is sexualization, there aren’t really varying degrees of it. Barbie is sexualized, both with her body proportions, heavy make up, big hair, and crazy sexy outfits. Check out Barbie’s My Scene and Fashionista lines, Mattel’s answer to Bratz.

Barbie might have career, but she dresses sexy for each and every one, so that sends an equally powerful message to our girls — you can be smart and accomplished, but you must always be sexy. You’ll also have a hard time finding the career dolls on the shelves – it is all Fashionista, Princess, Bride, and Fairy Barbies.

Barbie maybe be more tasteful than street-walkerish Bratz, but they are both equally harmful to our little daughters. Barbie is marketed to girls beginning at age 3, when they are just solidifying their gender identities and what it means to be female.

We don’t allow anything sexualized in our house – no Barbie, no Bratz, no Disney Princesses, no Tinkerbell.

My science and nature-loving 5yo daughters LOVES my old Cabbage Patch dolls, Groovy Girls, Bindi Irwin dolls, Animal Planet scientist figures, and mom-made Sophie & Lili dolls. She is a child, and her toys will look like children.

I also have to consider what the viewing of highly sexualized female toys does to my almost 3yo son’s idea of what a woman should look like. My designs at Pigtail Pals reflect and honor this belief. Childhood is a joyful and wonderous time for children to be….wait for it….children!

Parents need to start holding toy manufacturers accountable. The sexualization of our youth is the social justice issue of our time.

Feb 10, 2011 @ 10:01:24

Melissa,
      I would love you to send me a write up about your t-shirts and your ideas behind their meaning. I would love to feature you and your work!

• Jazz Cat
      Dec 31, 2011 @ 13:28:24

Barbie has always been career oriented. She’s been a pilot, an astronaut, a princess; but when it comes down to it she’s YOUNG and knows how to live and have fun! Barbie has NEVER donned the prostitute look and I resent your implication. Sexy is sexy, slutty is slutty and there is a very big difference. To be honest, you sound like an uptight Christian. But that’s just MY conclusion based on your statement.
      I’ve been collecting Barbies since I was 3. I have an entire room dedicated to them and not a single one implies impurity or lack of class.

I can’t find the original interview of Isaac Larian but when he was initially asked about the provocativeness of his dolls his reply was that they were fashioned after American kids. This didn’t fly with some of my friends and Brats are banned from their houses.

And some of you who comment that we’re pathetic obviously lack class and morals. Mature adults understand that implication to the wrong individual can have traumatic results to a young girl. So no, young girls should not be given those set examples that it’s okay to look like that, that shouldn’t be what they want to be when they grow up.

3. Molly
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 08:42:04

Bratz girls disgust me. Barbies used to until my girls started playing with them. My girls have gone through the princess/fairies stage and are still tomboys at heart. I feel that as long as we teach them good morals and what is really beautiful about them, our household can handle all this crap. Although, we can’t handle Bratz. :) I don’t think you offended anyone by this post, I think that video did though!!!! ewwwwwwww

4. Kate
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 08:45:12

Well said! Bratz Dolls are horrifying.
    I’ve never been convinced that Barbie is OK either, though. I wasn’t allowed to play with them as a little girl, and I respect my mom’s decision even now. I’m glad I played with more normal-looking dolls instead.
    Keep talking about this stuff! It’s an important topic!

5. Ryan McConnell
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 08:45:54

I completely agree…they are not allowed in my house and if we get one as a gift from someone not respecting my rules (which I put in invitations, I don’t care what people think) then that is our time to have a lesson about behavior, clothing and self image. My girls trade them in for another toy and have been heard at other parties saying ‘oh those are NOT allowed at our house, BRATZ have no respect for themselves and wear trashy clothes!’ LOL

Feb 10, 2011 @ 09:59:01

Just to be clear: I am not Pro Barbie. Some of those clothes are terrible too and her proportions are ridiculous! It’s really not about Barbie vs. Bratz for me. For me, it’s about both the direct and indirect messages we are sending to our young girls with the merchandise that we buy and allow in our homes. It’s about the damage done by selling/buying sexualized toys. It’s about taking a stand against our kids being subjected to crap. I read that in 2006, the Bratz had about forty percent of the fashion-doll market. I’m sure that percentage is higher this year. I’m not sure what the percentage is for Barbie. People are buying sexed up dolls for their young kids—I don’t understand why. It’s maddening.

7. Hugo Schwyzer
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 10:48:56

Thanks, Liz. Good post.

I think the appeal of Bratz to the young is less the sexiness than the rebelliousness. Bratz seem cool because they represent a disdain for authority; in this case, sexiness is less about sex and more about horrifying parents. And of course, the more parents react with horror, the more the appeal (to some, at least — enough to drive sales). Bratz are hipper, edgier, designed to appeal to those girls who are already attracted to a little relatively innocent rebellion.

And that, of course, is what makes sexualization so problematic. It speaks not to young girls’ desire for sex, but to a desire to be cool, trendier, and just a little bit rebellious. Barbie, alas, is many things — but she’s not a rebel. To many girls, she represents conformity. Some mothers and daughters bond over Barbie, and that’s great — but some girls DON”T want to bond with their moms at, say, age 8 or 10. They are already “feeling their oats” a bit. And Bratz captures that.

That’s not an endorsement, by the way. Just what I’ve seen.

• Katie
      Feb 10, 2011 @ 17:31:07

Just to say when I was younger I wanted a Bratz doll because they were on TV which made them cool, not because they were edgier, or rebelling. I thought they were cute and wanted to be like them and have one.

8. Callie Feyen
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 14:56:51

I completely agree with you in regards to the Bratz dolls. I also have a major issue with the name “Bratz.” Why would I want my girls to play with something called a “brat?” We are trying hard to teach our girls to be kind and genuine, and this seems to go against that.

Your post is quite thought provoking. Thanks for sharing!

9. Katie
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 17:28:57

I totally agree! I’m 13 and I was never aloud to have Bratz dolls because that very reason. I used to get so mad but I get why now since I’m older. and little kids copy how their toys dress and off tv shows/movies. Would you really let your child watch a Bratz movie knowing they will act just like it with their friends. Most likely staging fights and going against other friends of theirs just like the clip. Maybe even dressing like them. My little sister loves to dress after her favorite things/people. Nothing’s too much. She has went to school in a zebra dress with ears before, as a cheer leader, and black make up on to be goth, it would be no surprise to me if she dressed up goth.
    So bottom line, stay away from those dolls.

10. e
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 04:02:42

ok so here is my take on both dolls. If you talk to your girls and tell them that these are just dolls and are just something to be fun, could that solve some off our issues with the dolls? I have a girl and a boy. My boy who has special needs also liked dolls and I had to tell him that girls do not really look like this and on and on. I have also told my daughter the same thing. That these are pretend. She is 4 and we were given some brat dolls. I think that we have to tell our kids the same things about tv,magazines etc.

11. MoonMom
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 04:51:37

I don’t think we should be afraid to point out that most Barbies and all Bratz dolls are dressed like hookers. If you look at Barbie from say 1997 the clothing is much less offensive… I wonder if sometimes the people at Barbie are trying to save money by producing small clothing. (less material to buy) However, Bratz dolls have more fabric and still look like street walkers.

“You can’t be what you can’t see” is the phrase I see all over these websites. Does this mean our girls CAN be what they can see? I hope not. I don’t need my kids going to school with girls dressed to turn tricks.

• Melissa Wardy
      Feb 13, 2011 @ 07:03:44

“You can’t be what you can’t see” is a quote by Marie Wilson of The White House Project. The quote was excerpted from her interview in the new documentary “Miss Representation”, which shows how exploited and sexaulized girls and women are in the media. In context, she is trying to make the point that women need to start creating better media, because our girls are getting a VERY narrow definition of what it means to be “female”. We need to do better for our girls. We need to create charaters and media that show girls doing a wide variety of activities and accomplishments that don’t focus on their looks or sexuality.

And I agree, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, there’s no shame in saying “I believe I see a duck.” New Barbies and all Bratz absolutely look like sex workers, and there is no way in hell I’m introducing that to my daugther. Or my son.

12. Trackback: Tweets that mention Barbie vs. Bratz Dolls ~ The Sexualization of Girls by Liz Nord « Secrets of Moms Who Dare To Tell All -- Topsy.com
  13. Trackback: Quora
  14. kewkew
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 11:12:45

I believe you worded this post perfectly. I wouldn’t allow my now 13 year old to have Bratz (and I wouldn’t allow Barbies when she was younger). Unfortunately her dad and I are divorced and he didn’t have a problem with them, so I was the “bad” “mean” parent. I am not thrilled with Barbies or Bratz, would have to say one of my main problems from the beginning was the name, even before I saw them and realized there was a lot more to be concerned about.. Was really interesting to read the measurement facts.

found you from your comment over at Bloggy Moms

15. Trackback: The War Of The Dolls « Morning Quickie
  16. HTwoWhoa
    Feb 13, 2011 @ 02:57:50

{@plusmodelsunite sent me (^: } I’ve seen Bratz ads over the years. Imagining them as 5.5-foot-tall humans is plum-ridiculous. They profoundly look like cartoons, especially with the tremendous head.

17. complicatedgirl
    Feb 14, 2011 @ 10:39:56

When my daughter was four I estimated Barbie’s height at 6 feet and her waist then was 20 inches. That was exactly the same as my daughter’s – so how is that a bad role model? LOL! We did it together and it was a good math lesson, too.
    She never wanted Bratz, but we certainly talked about them. My biggest problem was I didn’t yet want to explain prostitution or promiscuousity.
    I’m not a fan of forbidding things because then they’re potentially more appealing, plus girls need to learn to live with and fight this stuff, not be sheltered from it. That’s a tough balance, though, and maybe this is one to hold the line on, because obviously we forbid gory video games and, like, marijuana.
    @Janell those Only Hearts Club dolls look great.

18. mybeautifulair
    Feb 14, 2011 @ 11:35:20

I loooooooved playing Barbies with my little sister when we were kids …. but these bratz dolls are insulting. Glad you said something!

19. Denise
    Feb 16, 2011 @ 16:46:13

I think the Bratz dolls are dispicable. I’ve already told my daughter she can NEVER have one and if someone gives her one it will go straight in the trash. Mind you, I’m not a big fan of barbie either.

I would recommend the Miss Corolle Les Cheries dolls if you are looking for something kind of like American Girl but more affordable. They are French though, so they don’t have a huge range of ethnicities, but they have nice clothes, they are good quality and they smell nice. My daughter received one for Christmas and another last week. They are perfectly appropriate for young girls.

20. MICHELE
    Feb 19, 2011 @ 12:19:38

They are dolls. You are giving them way to much power over your life. My daughter plays with dolls. She has never asked to dress like nor does she aspire to be like a Bratz or a Barbie . Just like she doesn’t want to have a zillion pets in our home because she plays with the littlest pet shop pets
    I do not think the clothes they wear affect her either since the majority of the dolls in our house are often found nude. Did I need to worry now that she aspires to be a nudist or a play boy bunny.
    I haven’t seen a Bratz doll or a barbie out promoting sexual encounters. I haven’t not seen them in ads for trojan or in gay/lesbian relationships on tv.
    I think worry more about what our girls see on todays tv shows and in the real world then about playing make believe with dolls.

21. Kevin
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 05:50:49

My wife and I have been very cautious about what our daughter has been exposed to. When we decorated her nursery we went with a jungle theme instead of pink and princess stuff.

She’s four years old now and she’d still rather read a book, draw, color and play outside than play with dolls.

BTW she does not have any Barbie or BRATZ toys. We won’t allow them in the house, nor has she asked to have any.

Great post!

22. whatsaysyou
    Mar 16, 2011 @ 05:54:25

I find Bratz dolls so sexualised and although I am not a mum, I would never give a Bratz doll as a gift to any little girl. Yes, I agree that Bratz (or should I call them Ratz) dolls are giving a very very bad message to our kids in this day and age

23. lauren
    Mar 19, 2011 @ 07:40:52

bratz are okay 4 children coz with there breasts it shows childreen how thay are going to look whaen there older

24. Trackback: What Are Your Thoughts on Abercrombie Kids Selling Padded Push Up Bikini Tops to 8-Year-Old Girls? Check Out A Better Kids Clothing Option. By Liz Nord « Secrets of Moms Who Dare To Tell All
  25. @YOU!
    Apr 21, 2011 @ 15:15:25

Sorry but there is a whole lot of bias people on here.
    Let’s be real Barbie is no skankier than Bratz dolls. In fact Bratz Dolls cover up more than Barbie. I’m so sick, of this lets only promote white beauty and women. Bratz Dolls is for all girls not just one. Just because Barbie come with many careers doesn’t excuss all the other shallow and sexualized Barbie editions. It took Barbie makers decades to finally tone her down.

26. Kate
    Apr 22, 2011 @ 15:30:48

When I was younger I played with Barbie a lot and now I’m in my 20s and I have to admit it did have a bad affect on me. I thought i wasn’t good enough because I didn’t look like a barbie doll, they were so pretty all of them. As a teenager I was obsessed with makeup and keeping my hair long and dyeing different colours. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been different if I hadn’t looked at barbie as a role model.

27. Button
    May 21, 2011 @ 07:40:40

Both dolls are equally obscene to me. The My Scene Barbie is as bad as the Bratz.

28. Mariana
    Jul 18, 2011 @ 08:50:47

Ah, oi…

Eu pessoalmente gosto muito das duas bonecas. Mas o que está dito acima é realmente sério, e é verdade. As roupas são minúsculas e ainda decotadas. Isso é realmente horrível, mas eu nunca me vestiria assim e nem deixaria uma filha minha usar isso, ainda mais essa maquiagem pesada, e esse visual de garotas fúteis e burras.

Adorei o post

Jul 18, 2011 @ 09:09:44

Obrigada, Mariana!

Translated from Portuguese, this is roughly what Mariana wrote:
      “Oh, hi …
      I personally like a lot of two dolls. But what is said above is really serious, and it is true. The clothes are still tiny and low cut. This is really horrible, but I never wear well and not let my daughter use this, even this heavy makeup, and girls that look frivolous and stupid.
      I loved the post.”

29. Kay
    Jul 23, 2011 @ 19:05:21

I’m 13 and I had both barbies and bratz dolls when i was younger. I never thought about the clothes or the head size. all i thought about was how the bratz were sometimes shorter then the barbies. After reading this i looked the bratz doll and i relized that the head and the lips were larger then the actual size they should of been. I see how a parent would notice the provoctive clothes and the unreal body apperance but a 5 year old may not notice that. When i was younger tho the bratz doll clothing wasn’t as provocitive. i noticed as i got older and went to shop for little cousins the bratz dolls became more provocitive. my point is a 5 year old may not notice the provocitivity but as the get older the may start to pick up on it, but you as a parent have every right to sheild your child from the obsceane looks the bratz dolls protray. I love this post but i’m neither against or for barbie and bratz. Remember the bratz when i was little were less sexualized.

• Teenage
      Dec 26, 2011 @ 05:32:04

I totally agree, new bratz dolls don’t look as good. My little sister only likes the Pretty N punk and Midnight dance. I guess she has abit of ‘emo’ inside her.

30. Kay
    Jul 23, 2011 @ 19:08:14

If a parent is looking for a good toy for a child i would advise polly pockets because the don’t protray a obsceane look. But the child has to be old enough to know not to put small items in their mouth.

31. jen
    Jul 28, 2011 @ 08:35:21

These dolls are just dolls. I believe people really overanalyze things. Little girls dont think about all of these negative things everyone is talking about. They just think they are pretty and like to play with them. You cant shelter your children from everything or they will be so overwhelmed and possibly become so wild once they enter the real worl. And honestly bratz dolls are dressed like the everyday typical tween or teenager that you would see walkig the halls of school in this day and age.

32. mary
    Sep 15, 2011 @ 13:11:46

to me both of are kindof ugly

33. esther
    Sep 15, 2011 @ 13:17:45

I love both of them so much they are beautifullll

34. Concerned
    Oct 20, 2011 @ 21:21:17

I’d like to comment on the thought that little girls can’t relate to the adult concerns regarding morality or lack there of suggested by toys. You are generally correct, but what happens is the young mind is being programmed on what is and is not acceptable, which becomes part of her thinking process and yardstick for norms. This is scientifically backed based on how the brain develops memory paths and critical thinking. Add in pop role model models who evolve into Hollywood images expressing water down morals and dare to show more than they should, (and this is a kind account of today’s reality) we have a formula that continues to reduces women to the value of their bodies vs. the greatness of their creativity, intellect and talent. Do we really want our young girls to participate in this?

35. skidrow games, full iso, full rip, free, pc games, skidrow
    Dec 08, 2011 @ 09:06:27

This makes perfect sense.

36. lylaol
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 12:11:45

Little girls/boys shouldn’t know about sexuality. They shouldn’t know about strippers or anything. Parents should NOT say anything about that to them. If they want those type of dolls, they want them!

37. lollypop
    Dec 25, 2011 @ 13:42:27

I have loved Bratz dolls since I was 7,and I’m 14 now,and have never wanted to dress like that. I think parents need to calm down. Little girls don’t think of them the way you do. They just think they are pretty. Don’t ban ALL Bratz from your house,not all of them dress bad. If your daughter wants a Bratz,just find one that dresses appropriately.

38. Katie
    Dec 26, 2011 @ 16:07:30

you people are sad. they are dolls ? get over it. you cant raise your children under a rock ? for gods sake! i hate mothers who behave like its the end of the world ..whether or not you banish these dolls women and girls will ALWAYS have the desire to be sexy and beautiful ?

39. Tahlia
    Dec 29, 2011 @ 20:32:27

When I was little I played with bratz dolls and I never noticed any of that. Their just dolls, my sister has a few and she just acts like they go to school and have a life.. Their not bad at all. In fact my parents never cared about them, my mum thought they were gorgeous looking. I dont think they dress inappropriately, they dress like evry other teen these days, have you seen the new dolls?

40. ashley
    Jan 08, 2012 @ 11:04:54

i agree with katie she is right moms today like to make things more negative and more analyzed when they aren’t they are just dolls not a replica of what our girls are gonna become.the point is that girls where always meant to feel good and hot.

41. Alexis
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:18:47

I’m 14 and I loved bratz. I never liked barbie because those dolls actually made me feel worse about how I looked. She was blond and tall, but I was none of those things. Bratz dolls related more to how the average person, minus the head, looked. They had four of them and any girl could relate to any or each one of them. like Hugo said, I liked their clothes. They had an edgier and more hip style. In every one of their movie, it showed them overcoming ‘actual’ struggles that I’ve ran into now that I’m in high school.

42. Emily
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 09:28:16

I completely disagree with everything you’ve just said. I grew up with both Barbie and Bratz, and never once in my entire childhood had I ever thought of any of it to be ‘sexualised’. Of course I wouldn’t have, because I was a child. Bratz or Barbie never caused me to want to dress ‘trashy’, or like a prostitute, or even wear makeup. It’s parents and the older people that frown upon them, because only they would think that way. Do you really think a 6 year old would want boobs because a Bratz doll might have them? No. Of course not. Whoever believes this trash is pathetic, and needs to think about what they’re saying. I was brought up with these and they have NOT caused me to dress, think, or do anything that you (people who think Bratz and/or Barbie are ‘sexualised’) would’ve thought.

• princess@yahoo.co.uk
      Feb 19, 2012 @ 16:44:52

Emily, you are totally right, thank God that I’m not the only normal person here! Everyone else is completely ridiculous. They all sound like a bunch of prudes. I too grew up playing with Barbies and Bratz dolls daily, and it hasn’t effected my self esteem in the slightest. Little girls don’t feel uncomfortable playing with fashionable dolls, and they don’t think of them as being trashy. My friends and I never ever thought of Bratz as being sexy, just glamorous. Everyone is looking way too far into this. Bratz never influenced me negatively, they’re just toys! I never compared my bodies to theirs. Let children play with dolls if they want to, it’s doing no harm. One women said that Barbies promoted the notion that a wedding is the most important day of womans life and selling Barbie wedding clothes is horrible *sniggers*. It’s fun to play weddings! It doesn’t mean anything! No toy is a roll model. These weird women all need to untwist their granny panties and realize that stylish dolls are not harming their precious and delicate daughters.

43. Mikki
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 13:59:17

Oh i totally agree when I was a girl Bratz were the thing they just came out (I think) and i wanted one so bad. i got one for my birthday from my friend and absolutely hated it! Being L.D.S. might have something to do with that but i absolutely hated hoe the shirt showed her belly or how her lips were bigger then her face it drove me nuts i only played with it when i was pretending to make her the evil witch.I’m so glad you wrote this. I would have to say that now at my age (14) those kinds of dolls effect the ways TEENAGE girls think! They never effected the way i dressed or did my play Cinderella makeup as a child but now i look at them and i can see how they can be an influence to girls my age. I had a friend just about a year ago tell me she wanted to look like a bratz doll so she started starving herself and throwing on the makeup it really showed me how they effect teenagers! I truly agree with you :)!!!

44. Roxanne
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 13:17:47

This is absolutely ridiculous. With no disregard to anyone else’s opinions, I’d just like to say that I grew up playing with Barbies, Bratz, Disney Princesses and Tinkerbell and it never affected me, and it didn’t shape my body image. I never looked at any of these dolls as role-models, nor did I ever try to emulate them. As a child I can only ever remember wanting to buy them because they were pretty, not because they had breasts, or wore trashy clothes, or because they symbolized rebellion. Now that I’m fourteen and I hear about the criticism these dolls are faced with, and all I can think is that parents are looking for a scapegoat as to why their children act the way that they do. But I can honestly say that these dolls never changed how I saw myself, or what I wanted to be, or what I thought I should be.