Pukey Pukerton by Molly Pitts

Pukefest

The stomach flu is one of the worst things to have to deal with. When the kids were really little and got it, the mound of laundry was never ending. Puke on the bed, on the couch, on the floor, on their clothes, on towels, etc. Now that they are a tad bit older and have a little more self-control, they can use a bucket or the toilet, which has made things better. My heart aches for them as their little bodies expel what seems to be every bit of their insides. But they get over it quickly and bounce back. Every family I know has a gross/hilarious story about when the stomach flu passed through their house. I thought I’d share our latest…

My girls randomly decided to sleep in the same bed. As I was getting into bed around 11p.m., I heard Aster (3) having a nightmare and she was crying pretty hard. I ran downstairs to comfort her and get her back to sleep when I noticed something wet on the blanket. I quietly woke her up and asked if her diaper had leaked. Betty (5) then sat straight up, started crying, and sobbed, “I think I did that”. I then noticed a horrible smell and turned on the light. Betty had puke CAKED into her hair, clothes, pillow, and literally covering her face. I then looked at Aster (who is black and has kinky curly hair) and noticed Betty’s vomit was caked in her hair as well. Do you know how hard it is to get anything out of her hair? So, I quickly got them out of bed and my husband came downstairs. Repeat of two months ago (I know, I know-I can’t believe this happened twice in two months). While I got them both in the shower, he stripped the sheets and took them outside to shake off all the big chunks. He got everything in the wash; the girls were now clean, so we all headed upstairs to make a bed on the floor for the girls. With a bucket by Betty’s head, everyone went to sleep. That is until 20 minutes later when I heard the bucket being used and a cry of, “MOM, help!”. This continued for the next five hours, EVERY twenty minutes.

Like I said, they recover fast. She spent the next day sleeping and relaxing. I always make a “sick bed” for the kids on the couch (see picture above) so they can sleep, eat and watch movies/cartoons all day. It makes being sick just a little bit more tolerable for everyone.

I do apologize if this post completely grosses you out. Before having kids, I never knew that 12 hours of sickness could be so horrible and gross. Now that we’ve dealt with it so much and know so many stories from others who have, it’s just another day here. Well, that’s not true at all…it still completely gags me! Have you had to deal with the stomach flu?

Jan 26, 2011 @ 07:54:57

I recently learned that although Gatorade tastes great and supposedly helps replenish electrolyte balance after being sick, it’s not great for the carpet– especially when your kids have been drinking red or purple Gatorade and they throw up all over the carpet. It does not come out!! I stick with light colored liquids now. =)

2. AdrienneMay
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 07:57:46

We have had to deal with this many times. My son I swear prefers to puke on me rather than anything or anyone else. On time at my parents house I literally ran out of clean clothes he was puking on them at such a fast rate.

And we have had stomach flu come through the house where it comes out at both ends as well — yuck!

3. Jessica @ Cheapskate Life
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 08:21:08

Yes. We have dealt with the stomach flu here. When one of my daughters was 10, and of course just a few months after buying new suede furniture, I made her a sick bed after I thought she was done puking. The next thing I know, puke is all over the couch, running down the cracks getting into places very difficult to clean. It puddles in these huge puddles. ugh!!! But, like you, I ached for her and at the same time resisted the strong urge to add my own to the mess. It took a couple months to clean my couch, since the smell was so bad and in the recess of fabric in the back, puke had accumulated and I didn’t know it. That one’s going down in the history books!

4. Clayton Thomas
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 10:04:09

I have been lucky enough not to deal with illness to that degree. My kids have been sick but…… Anyway, it was a nice post and I am now an official subscriber.

All my best,

Clay

5. Melissa
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 10:07:20

I feel for you. I have 3 of my own and when the stomach flu hits it is like dominos! It gags me too! I learned a little trick to deal with the smell while doing the clean up (the smell is what bothers me the most)…….rub a little bit of Vick’s Vapo Rub right under your nose. Sounds crazy, but it helps.

6. Molly
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 11:11:38

Love all your stories, kind of :) Visited your sites too-great!

@Melissa-GREAT idea on the Vick’s-I will definitely be using that next time!

7. 1 Funky Woman
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 13:50:45

It is just the worst. My 6 year old daughter had it a month ago and started puking from 10 o’clock on. She managed to hit the bed, the steps coming down to me, my bed, the floor and I think the list goes on! Yes, we all have a gross barf story!

New follower from Bloggy Moms!

Megan

Jan 27, 2011 @ 08:05:45

As if on cue from this post, my oldest daughter started throwing up this morning. Green goo. Yuck. I feel so bad for her!!

9. Stephanie
    Jan 27, 2011 @ 11:50:34

Shortly after I read this post yesterday my 6 yr old and 2 yr old started vomiting last night. They were fairly neat about it though, unlike their sister who had it over the weekend and managed to hit the bed, me, walls, floor and entire bathroom. Still, it was quite a sight watching my six year old hold her the 2 year olds hair while she vomited in the bowl they were sharing.

10. stephanie
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 11:56:11

Oh, tis the season! I never know if it is better when they are all synchronized or are sick one at a time. Either way, it is never easy! Good luck getting through the week … I think a margarita is calling your name.
    Found you on Bloggy Moms/Funny Moms … stop by sometime.