Privacy, Please! by Liz Nord

Privacy, please! No, I’m not talking about the bedroom. I’m talking about shower time. When our daughters were younger, I could take a shower while they were sleeping or napping. Not anymore! Our six and nine-year old daughters don’t seem to sleep anymore than we do now, and nap time is long gone.

Do you know how many times that I have been so excited to take a shower because I thought it would ensure that I would have some alone time!?! I would think…ah, now is the perfect time. They are busy playing well together, coloring, hanging with dad, or watching a show. YES! I’ll make a run for the shower.

Seriously, in under five minutes the shower door fly’s open and some “dramatic” situation has arrived—“Olivia did this, Bella said that, I’m starving, I’m thirsty, something broke, the DVD is skipping, Where is my such and such toy?, Are you done in there yet?”

Hello, people!!! Shut the shower door, please, and work it out on your own! Why are you still doing this? It must be my fault. I’m not doing something right. I’m not strict enough. Is that it? Maybe this is normal and everyone has this problem. I don’t know…

I’d lock the bathroom door, but what if there was a real emergency and my husband wasn’t home to help? Hmm. You know what? Even if I did lock the door, they would knock and yell excessively enough to ruin my ten minutes of peace anyways! I love my girls dearly and I don’t mean to seem harsh here, but JUST LEAVE ME ALONE FOR TEN MINUTES, PLEASE! Geez…What’s a girl to do to get some privacy around here?

Have you had “Privacy, please” issues? How do or did you handle it?

1. Janell
    Jan 17, 2011 @ 15:00:10

I know exactly what you mean, Liz. Now that my kids are older and well trained in the “Leave your mom alone when she is in the bathroom!” arts, I sometimes sit in the bathroom for longer than necessary so I can just finish one more chapter. It isn’t the most comfortable reading space but at least I can read without interruption.

2. Rose Norberg
    Jan 17, 2011 @ 19:38:39

My husband and I had a talk about it one time and I let him know how important it was to me to not be disturbed during my bath time. After a bit, he got it down really well and I when I was obviously stressed out he would say, “Do you want to go take a bath?”- sometimes he would even start the bath and come to tell me it was my time for a bath! Then I would hear him telling the kids not to bother mommy. YES! Communicate with the signicant other in the situation and check out for a little alone time.

Jan 18, 2011 @ 05:59:40

Hi, ladies. Thanks for the comments!

@Janell–I think you’ve done a better job training than me. =)

@Rose–Your husband sounds like a sweet heart. So is mine, but that is so awesome that he actually draws a bath for you!

4. Janell
    Jan 18, 2011 @ 19:12:40

Liz- My kids are a bit older than yours, and I am really mean to them if they disturb me in the bath and there is not bloodshed!

5. Tiffany S.
    Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:13:13

Liz, I too, have issues with private time! Just the other day my now 5- year-old wanted me to read him a story. I told him to get a book and I would read to him after I went to the bathroom. Next thing I know books were being slid toward me under the bathroom door! When I asked Garrett what he was doing, he replied, “I can hear you from out hear….” Hmm…..

6. Kelley
    Feb 01, 2011 @ 19:03:52

I am ALWAYS having privacy issues! I have 2 boys, 2 & 6, and I know they don’t need to be seeing any hooha, but they just barge in! Loved this post!

I am following you from Bloggy Moms/Funny Moms. So glad you are a part of the group!

7. Fenella Karis
    Sep 10, 2011 @ 15:58:30

I have EXACTLY the same problem, it is a mothers-of-the-world-unite one I think! I do now lock the door, but they get a spoon from the kitchen drawer and ‘unlock’ it from the outside – all to rush in for that have-to-say-it-now conversation. And yes, then they rush out again and leave the door open,… so all the cold air comes in. But one day we will shower in peace, ad I think by then it will have lost its charm ;)